Grady Health System provides a full range of medical services for women during pregnancy and childbirth, and for infants. With a multidisciplinary team of healthcare providers and specialists at our hospital-based clinics and neighborhood health centers, our goal is to help expecting moms achieve a healthy pregnancy and delivery.
Our focus is on creating a family-centered birthing experience. In our labor and delivery suites, moms and their families enjoy privacy in a warm, relaxed environment.
A variety of pain management options are available by request to ensure a more comfortable birthing experience. After delivery, nurses teach moms basic infant care skills such as feeding, bathing and diapering. Lactation consultants provide education and support with breastfeeding to give babies a healthy start.
To schedule a tour of Grady’s Family Birth Center or for information on classes, call (404) 616-BABY (2229).
Transfers, Transports, Consultations and Outpatient Diagnostics
If you are a physician interested in:
- Maternal transports, consults and outpatient diagnostics, call 1-800-381-MOM1 (6661).
- Neonatal transports, consults and outpatient diagnostics, call 404-785-6600.
We offer parents a comfortable, safe, family-centered environment to welcome their new babies into the world.
During pregnancy, patients may see a variety of healthcare providers such as a doctor, nurse-midwife, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. A series of exams and tests will be completed to help monitor mom’s health and baby’s growth and development.
CenteringPregnancy® at Grady is a unique approach to prenatal care that allows women to receive check-ups, learn about pregnancy, childbirth and parenting, and support other pregnant women in an intimate group setting. These two-hour sessions are led by nurse-midwives and give patients more personalized care.
Other prenatal care services include:
- Daily prenatal classes
- Nutritional support
- Social services
- Interpretation services (for non-English speaking and deaf patients)
High Risk Care
When challenges arise during pregnancy, we are prepared to provide patients with the highest level of care. Grady is the largest Regional Perinatal Center in Georgia. Doctors from all over the state send their expecting moms to Grady for special care or testing. Our team is trained to handle patients with all high risk conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, HIV, heart disease and kidney disease, as well as premature labor.
Grady is proud to provide the very best care possible for new moms and their babies. We are designated as a Baby-Friendly Facility by Baby Friendly USA.
Lactation Services at Grady Health System provides breastfeeding and infant feeding care by Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants and Certified Lactation Counselors. Our lactation specialists provide services for patients in the Family Birth Center, Mother/Baby Postpartum Unit, the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, and the Women and Infant’s Health Clinic.
Grady Health System is committed to promoting and supporting breastfeeding and is proud to be a Baby-Friendly hospital. The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative recognizes hospitals and birth centers that provide optimal levels of support for breastfeeding babies and their families.
We follow the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding:
- We have a written breastfeeding policy and we routinely share it with all health care providers.
- We train our staff to follow this policy.
- We tell our mothers about the benefits of breastfeeding.
- We help all mothers to start breastfeeding within an hour of birth.
- We show mothers how to breastfeed and how to pump and store their milk if they are separated from their baby.
- We do not give babies anything except breastmilk unless there is a medical indication.
- We encourage mothers to keep their infants with them 24 hours a day.
- We encourage breastfeeding when the baby wants to eat.
- We do not give pacifiers or other artificial nipples to breastfeeding babies.
- We refer our breastfeeding mothers for follow-up and support after discharge.
In September 2015, Grady Memorial Hospital became the first public, academic Baby-Friendly Hospital in Georgia. Learn more about the Baby-Friendly Hospital initiative.
Lactation Services coordinates hospital-wide breastfeeding care for patients and staff including: breastfeeding classes, a telephone support line, and breastfeeding/pumping rooms.
Mothers of babies can call us at (404) 616-BABY, option 4, for non-urgent breastfeeding questions. If you are concerned about the health of yourself or your infant, please call your doctor.
Forms you’ll need
|Authorization of Treatment||Rights & Responsibilities|